Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A little shake and bake!

Well . . . we're not necessarily baking here in the 80-something degree temps, but we did experience the first part of this statement today. This was the first earthquake for both of us, and it came when the whole group was gathered together for the afternoon session. A little before 2 pm, Dr. Clyde Meador was speaking and taking questions on the state of the SBC, when suddenly the ground started vibrating strongly. For a few seconds, I (David) thought maybe a plane had crashed outside, but I think I heard someone say earthquake. A lot of people got up and ran outside, but Chara and I got underneath a table. Interestingly, I said a quick prayer and by the time that was through, so was the shaking, but it was quite an intense introduction to the seismological world! From what I have heard, this is the first earthquake to strike this area in about 100 years! It reminds me that even the ground we stand on, however reliable it is through our lives, can at a moment's notice shift underneath us, and that the only true solid ground is found in our faith in Christ! He will always be faithful to see us through every disaster, whether natural or manmade! If you read this, keep us in your prayers as we are also looking at a potentially wet and stormy weekend (depending on what Hurricane Irene decides to do)!

No comments:

Post a Comment